Legal Operations Defined & Core Competencies
Legal operations is a multi-disciplinary function that optimizes legal services delivery to a business or government entity by focusing on twelve core competencies:
- Strategic Planning: Create a long-term strategy, aligning yearly goals and corresponding metrics.
- Financial Management: Manage the departmental budget. Track accruals and forecasting. Work with Finance to identify spending trends, potential cost savings and efficiency opportunities.
- Vendor Management: Create a vendor management program to insure quality outside counsel support at the right rates and under optimal fee arrangements. Hold regular business reviews. Negotiate fee agreements. Drive governance of billing guidelines.
- Data Analytics: Collect and analyze relevant data from department tools and industry sources, define objectives to provide metrics and dashboards, that drive efficiencies and optimize spend, etc.
- Technology Support: Create a long-term technology roadmap including tools such as e-billing/matter management, contract management, content management, IP management, business process management, e-signature, board management, compliance management, legal hold, subsidiary management, etc.
- Alternative Support Models: Drive departmental efficiency by leveraging managed services, LPOs, and other service providers.
- Knowledge Management: Enable efficiencies by creating seamless access to legal & department institutional knowledge through the organization and centralization of key templates, policies, processes, memos, and other learnings.
- Professional Development and Team Building: Deliver improved GC Staff and overall team performance by globalizing the team and creating a culture of growth, development, collaboration and accountability.
- Communications: Work collaboratively across the legal ecosystem to create consistent global processes, from on boarding to complex project management support. Publish regular departmental communications, plan and execute all-hands.
- Global Data Governance / Records Management: Create a records management program including a record retention schedule, policies and processes.
- Litigation Support: Support e-discovery, legal hold, document review.
- Cross-Functional Alignment: Create and drive relationships with other key company functions, such as HR, IT, Finance and Workplace Resources. Represent the Legal organization at CLOC.