September 23, 2020
By LaTrece JohnsonReading Time: 5 minutes
Earlier this year, CLOC made the decision to transition the in-person experience to an online global experience this November. While this was a difficult decision to make, it gave CLOC a chance to focus on providing valuable content for legal professionals in a multi-time zone environment.
CLOC Institutes are known as “the event of the year” for legal professionals across the entire ecosystem to come together to connect, learn, and collaborate. If you have ever been to one of these events, you know it’s an experience that’s hard to replicate. But not for CLOC. We understand that during this time where our lives are adjusting, we have the opportunity to meet you where you are, regardless of where you are located.
CLOC recognizes that transitioning to an online event requires a considerable amount of thought and timely execution. It’s also more than creating webinars and finding speakers, it’s about delivering value, engagement, education, and networking.
Before CLOC began planning the program, it was important to hear from CLOC members and law firm participants. CLOC launched the Personalize Your Virtual Experience survey to gain insights into what challenges legal professionals were facing, what they wanted to learn, and how they wanted to engage with other attendees. The survey received responses from legal professionals all over the world including Australia, Canada, Germany, India, Switzerland, and Hong Kong.
People responded when asked “What is one thing that you want to learn or experience at the Global Institute?” and the responses below helped shape the agenda, topics, and speakers to give attendees exactly what they asked for.
“I want to hear about the latest trends and how we compare to what other firms and in-house teams are experiencing.” – Director of a Law Firm
“I am curious to learn how other organizations with large legal departments are structuring their Legal Ops Team to support their business and what are their current priorities.” – Manager of Corporate Legal Department
“I want to learn how to drive innovation in the legal industry with my peers and my organization’s stakeholders.” – Vice President of a Corporate Legal Department
“I want to learn how to empower changes that need to happen in an environment that is comfortable with how things currently are.” – Program Manager for a Corporate Legal Department
CLOC is excited to bring the Institute to you and provide optimal opportunities to once again gather to connect, learn, and collaborate, an experience delivered to your desktop.
Here is what you can look forward to with an all access pass to the CLOC Global Institute:
Exhibit Hall: Over 40 technology providers, service providers, and law firms will be ready to meet you and provide more information about their products and services. Don’t be shy! Engage with them at their booth by asking questions in live chat, watch demo videos, and get access to downloadable documents, all geared to teach you how to make your role more efficient. As a bonus, you can get a chance to win a free lunch or free swag!
Meet the Change Makers: The first session will include senior executives from influential organizations including EY, Harvard, Orrick, and VMWare, as they discuss how legal disruption is an opportunity for change, ways to design for a new future and will share their bold thoughts on where you need to go and how you get there.
General Counsel Panel Discussion: Hear general counsels from large enterprise organizations like Coca-Cola, easyJet, and Microsoft as they discuss the current state of the legal industry, trends that have impacted the way that legal does business, and what to expect moving forward despite the constant change that you experience.
Panelists include Badley Gayton who joined Coca-Cola after nearly 20 years at Ford Motor Company, serving in various roles from Global Trade Taxation & Customs to Legal Affairs for Canada, Mexico, and South America to General Counsel. He is joined by Maaike de Bie from easyJet after several years at Royal Mail and now leads a mid-size legal team that supports an affordable airline operation that transported 96 million passengers, in more than 1000 routes to over 30 countries around the world last year. Both are joined by Dev Stahlkopf who leads a large legal team of 500 at Microsoft, one of the world’s largest organizations, and was featured as one of Fast Company’s Most Creative People in 2019. This is a session you won’t want to miss.
Breakout Sessions: The Global Institute agenda includes 14 sessions throughout the day, which gives you an opportunity to choose one of two sessions each hour to view live or on-demand.
Here are some of the confirmed sessions today. CLOC has more abstract proposals to review and will be adding even more sessions to the agenda.
- Making Impact as a Leader in the Distributed World will be an interactive experience to show you how to be purposeful, resilient and influential in your relationships with peers, stakeholders and your team.
- KM for Small Legal Departments: Maximizing Your Impact With Limited Resources will be a case study of the Asurion Legal Operations Team and how they were able to build a knowledge management solution in less than 2 months with no resources and limited technology budget.
- Understanding the Technology Journey: From Skillset to Planning will be a case study of the Marvell Semiconductor Legal Ops Team and how they were able to successfully implement multiple tech solutions by leveraging champions throughout the organization and using existing technology to save time and money.
- How to Tackle Your Legal Operations Projects will discuss how to use legal project management (LPM) principles to approach legal ops projects and share stories of their successes to the failures to help ensure you learn from their experiences.
- Strategic Planning for New Legal Operations Leaders will discuss how to navigate through your new role, how to create a strategy, implement your plan, and execute your vision in your first year.
- Other topics that we are considering adding to our agenda include Data & Diversity: The Importance and Benefits of Diversity in Today’s Legal Environment, Legal Ops Battleplans for 2021, Building a Future-Proof Legal Tech Stack, Using No-Code Automation To Improve Efficiency Without Adding New Tools, From Fighting Fires to Driving Impact: Innovating Without Change Management, and Contract Data Storytelling: Growing Legal Ops Influence Across the Org.
CLOC will be confirming the remaining topic proposals soon, so check the CLOC Global Institute Agenda for more updates.
Roundtable Discussions: Throughout the event, you will have the opportunity to participate in regional and committees networking, industry groups and trending topic discussions with your peers. These interactive sessions will allow you to break out into smaller groups and be inspired by actionable takeaways that not only empower efficiencies in the way you work but enable department transformation.
- Regional Networking – EMEA, Americas, and APAC
- CLOC Committee Networking – Diversity & Inclusion, and Legal Project Management
- Industry Groups – Fortune 1000 & Other Large Enterprise, Legal Technology & Innovation, and Emerging Legal Departments
- Trending Topics – Business Intelligence, Strategic Planning, Knowledge Management, Professional Development, Process & Workflow Automation, Tech Strategy & Implementation Lessons Learned, Intake & Self Service Tools, Dashboards & BI Tools
- Visit the Chat Lounge to engage via live chat with other Institute attendees.
- Add and Download the CLOC Global Playlist and listen to the vibes during breaks.
- Pop into the CLOC break room for a stretch with an instructor and more.
- Enter to get lunch on us with an UberEats gift card by visiting exhibitor booths in the Exhibit Hall.
- Sign up for the CLOC Networking Event and meet 1:1 with global legal professionals. Details will be announced during the Institute.
Like all other Institutes, CLOC is redefining the way information is delivered to its members, law firms, and the entire legal ecosystem with a jam-packed, digital Institute filled with real-talk panel sessions, impactful workshops, mentor power hours with the best, peer to peer networking, and more!