October 19, 2021
By Betsi RoachReading Time: 2 minutes
SALI ALLIANCE OCTOBER UPDATE
Last month, we shared news about the release of SALI’s LMSS 2.0 and associated ILTACON 21 discussion. This month’s update highlights new members, our UK working group, and upcoming roundtables and events. We encourage you to attend and participate.
NEW MEMBERS AND ENDORSERS
Consider officially joining us as a member. Membership provides many benefits, including directly shaping the standard and participating in the SALI community. This month, SALI Alliance is proud to welcome the following new members:
• Coblentz Patch Duffy & Bass
LMSS AROUND THE WORLD – UK WORKING GROUP
We recently created a SALI UK working group, building out parts of the code specific to that jurisdiction, including:
• Integrating the SALI LMSS ontology (codes, structure)
• Building out a graph database, where they’re using SALI to tag all their matters/documents:
• Areas of Law (e.g., banking, disputes)
• Services (e.g., regulatory, disputes, advisory)
• Actors (e.g., lawyers, staff)
• Documents (e.g., agreements, clauses)
• Industries (e.g., pharmaceuticals, technology)
• Many, many LMSS metadata types (e.g., dispute claims)
• Working together to identify whether any UK-specific fields might enhance UK legal practice
We are excited to see many of the largest and innovative UK firms embrace:
• Standardization of legal data
• SALI’s approach to permitting intelligent taxonomies/ontologies (e.g., graph)
• SALI’s in-progress API, which will enable the exchange of data between systems — both internal (e.g., within a firm) and external (e.g., clients, vendors)
We look forward to working with these UK firms to build a more connected legal-data ecosystem. If you’re in another jurisdiction that would benefit from a country-specific working group, please contact us here.
LMSS 2.0 RELEASE NOTES
We are finalizing LMSS 2.0 release notes that include the following elements:
• Launch. Release walkthrough meeting
• Deliverables. LMSS 2.0 formats
• XML (RDFS/OWL)
• Google Sheets
• WebProtege (Stanford-hosted tool)
• Tutorial & Specification Document, explaining the additions in 2.0 with a description of their business value and purpose
KEY DATES AND EVENTS
• November 16, 2021, 12-1 pm ET. The SALI Alliance will host our next virtual community drop-in session, where we will talk about implementation, updates on LMSS 2.0, and answer your questions. Click here to join us!
• Spring 2022. Release of LMSS 2.1 (details forthcoming).
For more information or to receive communications from the SALI Alliance, email email@example.com.
HOW CAN I LEARN MORE?
We welcome your input and your involvement! The most complete, practical standard can only be realized by continued contributions and adoption from organizations throughout the legal industry, particularly legal operations professionals and in-house counsel teams.
A link to the standard, which anyone can use at no cost, can be found at SALI.org.
In addition, there are several active and pending conversations to join, including:
• International working groups
• Area of law working groups
• Open forums for questions, feedback, and discussion among current and potential adopters
For more information on the standard, adoption, or getting involved, please contact Kelly Harbour at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mark Medice at email@example.com.